What is Anti-Semitism?
- Anti-Semitism is hostility or prejudice towards Jewish people
- Anti-Semitism stems being minorites in a predominantly Christain society, where Jewish people were seens as “outsiders” due to refusing to adopt non-jewish lifestyles and values
- Jewish people were often scapegoats for major events
- Nazi ideology is often associated with anti-semitism
- Jews account for less than 3% of the American population, but the majority of reported hate crimes
North Shore Hebrew Academy hacked
- December 15th, on the fifth night of Hanukkah, North Shore Hebrew Academy’s website was hacked
- Hacker manipulated the school’s website to gain access to student’s sensitive information including credit card info, home addresses, etc. and have released it.
- Anti- semestic slurs, images, and songs were posted on the website
- Homepage plastered with Swastikas and clips of marching Nazi SS guards.
- One page read “North Shore Hebrew Death Camp”
- Emails sent with link to a page titled “Field Trip to Auschwitz”
- Emails also contained slurs directed towards students and parents
Temple Emanuel in Davenport, Iowa
- On the first day of Hanukkah, December 10th, this Jewish temple was vandalized in an act of anti-semitism.
- “John 8:44” was marked near the entrance using spray paint, which was used in hateful context.
- The biblical verse references Jesus telling his critics that they are the spawn of the devil
- Jews, in turn, are told they are the spawn of the devil through this reference
- Rabbi Bertenthal said the message and its timing are hurtful, as it is occurring during the opening night of the Jewish Festival of Lights
- Currently undergoing investigation, although there are no suspects and arrests made as of now
Anne Frank Memorial
- The only Anne Frank Memorial in the US in Boise, Idaho was defaced with Nazi propaganda
- It was discovered on the morning of Tuesday, December 8th
- Nine stickers with swastikas were placed around and on the memorial
- One said, “We are everywhere”
- The precise placement of each sticker was extremely hurtful to the local community with the dangerous and evil message portrayed
- The community has rallied behind Jews, with visitors leaving flowers and signs of encouragement around the memorial.
- The center announced it would be starting a fundraising campaign to purchase a security system
Jewish Man Ran Over in Anti-Semetic Attack
- A Jewish Man in Lexington, Kentucky was ran over during a Hanukkah celebration
- A car pulled up, almost hitting the volunteer camera crew and the driver began to yell anti-semetic slurs
- A community member stepped in between the driver and Chabad house, due to several children being present in front of the room
- The attacker grabbed onto the man’s arm and dragged him for a block, running over his leg in the process, and then driving off.
Belgium Train Incident
- On the first night of Hanukkah, 4 men took over the PA system on a Belgium train
- Using the system, they threatened to blow up the vehicle unless the Jewish passengers stepped off
- The incident occured in between Antwerp and Mechelen, a city that once housed a Nazi internment camp used a dispatch station for Jews who were later sent to be murdered in Poland
- The Jews on the train were referred to as “cancer Jews” and told to leave immediately
- Security on the train were unable to find the 4 men, and police are still searching for them
Ukraine Menorah Toppled
- A Ukrainian man filmed himself taking down a Hanukkah menorah in Kyiv while shouting at Jews
- He proceeded to post his video to Facebook, which depicted him saying “Jews to the graves”
- The man also attempted to destroy another statue, but was unsuccessful as it was bolted into the ground
- He has since been identified by Ukranian police
Anti-Semetic Graffiti at Amherst Regional High School
- Amherst Regional High School in Amherst, Massachutes found racist and anti-semetic graffiti drawn in chalk in front of the school
- Matter is currently being investigated by Amherst Police
Anti-Semetic graffiti found in Queens, New York
- In Forest Hills, Queens, Anti-Smetic graffiti was found spray painted on the fence of a home.
- The graffit contains crude reference to sexual acts on Jewish women
- NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force is now investigating the incident
Call to Action/Raising Awareness
- Anti-Semitic attacks rose to an all time high in 2019 and continue to rise in 2020.
- Continuing to raise awareness about Anti-Semitic attacks, especially during Hanukkah, is very important.
- The frequency and intensity of anti-semitic incidents continue to harm Jewish communities and make them feel unsafe
Resources to learn about Anti-Semitism
Book – Night by Elie Wiesel
Book – Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Movie – Sarah’s Key
Documentary – Numbered